The Evolution of “Vintagebloom”

I finished a fairly large painting (for me anyway) this past week and realized I took quite a few progress shots of its coming into existence… Thought they might be interesting to share. They were all taken with my iPhone so the quality isn’t awesome, but you can still tell what’s going on. Prints of “Vintagebloom” are available in my Etsy shop, and soon the original will be too :)

The first layer consists of pages of old sheet music from a book I found at the thrift store.

The first layer consists of pages of old sheet music from a book I found at the thrift store.

Next were some vintage crochet patterns from the 60s, another great thrift store find.

Next were some vintage crochet patterns from the 60s, another great thrift store find.

Next: all sorts of colorful vintage stamps and some white paint/white alcohol ink to sort of merge the layers into one.

Next up, the "petals," which consist of bits of wallpaper, pages of a pattern book, and any fun random paper I could find. This part is my favorite.

Next up, the “petals,” which consist of bits of wallpaper, pages of a pattern book, and any fun random paper I could find. This part is my favorite.

Working from the outside in, I kept adding circles of paper, then decided on a vintage paper doily for the center.

I like to outline the petals in white to give it a kind of cut-out look... this is my least favorite part :)

I like to outline the petals in white to give it a kind of cut-out look… this is my least favorite part :)

Lastly, adding tiny details in ink, like little leaves.

And the final product! The original is 18" x 24" on a gallery-wrapped canvas, ready to hang :)

And the final product! The original is 18″ x 24″ on a gallery-wrapped canvas, ready to hang :)