Now the song Jennifer Hudson sings from those Weight Watchers commercials is stuck in my head. Soooo….. wow. Hello 2013. I cannot believe I am here… not just in the new year, but where I am in life. Currently, I am surrounded by a paper/paint/scraps/envelope explosion due to frantically packing up and shipping six orders earlier. My days of going to FedEx and buying one shipping envelope at a time seem to be over. The days right before and right after Christmas were pretty scary: I had a dry spell with ZERO ETSY ORDERS and about had a panic attack. But then, they came back in a big way. One day was so amazing that I was in tears. The cash register cha-ching sound that the Etsy app on my phone makes when I sell something kept cha-chinging away all day.
I remember last year at the beginning of 2012, I had so many huge ideas that I wanted to accomplish that year. And… I accomplished them. It is now 2013 and I have my own business selling my artwork. Wow wow wow wow wow.
So, I don’t do resolutions. They are dumb and last until February then the coolness of trying to better yourself or something like that wears off. Instead, I do affirmations. Things I want to do. Since last years affirmations seemed to be pretty successful, let’s make more for this year:
1) Start a new art journal. I fell out of practice with my old one when I started getting busy trying to keep the art selling business going, but I miss “playing” in it soooo much.
2) Volunteer someplace on a regular weekly basis. I’m thinking the retirement home that is a two minute walk from my apartment.
3) Achieve complete financial stability. Marvel at the fact that I did so by doing what I love: creating. And never take that for granted.
4) Take a vacation alone, whether it be two days or ten days. Take my camera and a sketchbook. Come back with endless ideas and inspiration.
5) Go on a cruise with my mom. We have been talking about doing it for years. It’s time.
6) Learn how to play the piano, like well. I can play basic stuff and know how to read music… I also have a digital piano gathering dust. Time to give that guy some serious attention.
7) Pay off a credit card.
8) Start a “Future House Down Payment Fund.”
9) Cook more. Oddly enough, I have enjoyed cooking lately. Not usually my thing.
10) Be a better person in general. In small ways and big… always being kind to strangers. Doing random acts of kindness. Paying it forward. Lately, that has been happening naturally, because I am so happy. Sometimes I think the post office people think I am delusional… the other night a guy that works there yelled to me and the other post office worker I was chatting with, “Listen to you two! It’s like two women in the kitchen!” which got giggles from a lot of the people waiting in line. The ones who did not giggle were probably super annoyed that I was holding up the line. Sorry, just spreading some cheer
Aside from the art stuff, nannying has been going great. Right now I watch the boys every Wednesday. Sometimes when I leave, my stomach hurts from laughing because of the things that their way-above-average-intelligent three year old says. I think I know more about dinosaurs now than I ever did when learning about them in school.
Also, just because I’ve been kind of lonely and itching for the excitement (and money – hehe) of a part time bartending job, I saw the perfect opportunity on Craigslist Sunday. A nice restaurant about five minutes from me was looking for a bartender Friday and Saturday nights to work their 8-seat service bar – the bar that makes the drinks for all of the servers’ tables. I always LOVED working the service bar because you have to be fast and on your toes. It is the best kind of stress and pressure and it’s so much fun. So I got that job yesterday and start Friday! And anyone who has ever worked in a restaurant knows how the staff usually is kind of like a big dysfunctional family, and I’m excited to experience that again. Plus, you make a lot of connections when you are a bartender. Also excited to see what could come of that!
Lastly, and really first and foremost for 2013, I am finishing the second half of my 40 Works In 40 Days project because HOLY MOLEY did I fall off the wagon with that!! I mean, I did because I was busy and spazzing and trying to do too much at once, but it’s going to be finished. Especially because I have started playing with a new kind of style inspired by something I saw at Hobby Lobby of all places, and want to use it in my project. So far, I have created and made prints of the following things, in order of creation: